Dim Sum at Fortune House Seafood Restaurant
Fortune House Restaurant has been a staple at Metropolis at Metrotown shopping Center as long as I can remember. They did a remodeling about a year ago, but overall it’s still the same consistently good dim-sum, which brings me to today’s blog post: Dim Sum!
If you’re trying Dim Sum for the very first time, this is an excellent place to go. A little pricey, but the food is good and you can’t beat the location. Drawback: This place is packed all the time. Reservations are recommended.
So you’re here, what do you do next? Let me tell you:
As soon as you are seated, your server will bring you an ordering form, mostly in Chinese/Cantonese – do not be alarmed, they will also give you an English menu. One thing that I’m disappointed on is that the English ordering form doesn’t have all the dishes on it, so unless you speak the language, you’re out of luck.
The great thing about Dim Sum is that it’s meant to be shared – Each dish will set you back $5 to $10 (depends on what you order) and it comes with three or four pieces. The more people you have in your party, the better it is, as you can order more dishes. I would recommend four or two very, very hungry people.
Some of the dishes that we sampled are:
– Steamed Shrimp Dumplings (Har Gaus) – a must if you’re trying Dim Sum for the very first time
– Baked BBQ Pork Pastries – They were delicious, one of my favorites, so sweet and flaky, not enough BBQ pork filling thought
– Deep Fried Shrimp Dumplings with Salad Sauce
– Steamed Pork, Shrimp, and Mushroom Dumplings (Shao Mai) – So good! Such an explosion of flavours!
– Steamed BBQ Pork Buns – Another must for the Dim Sum novice
– Pan Fried Bean Curd Rolls with Shrimp
– Deep fried Squid with Spicy Salt – This dish was very, very good, and I don’t usually like squid!
– Steamed Shrimp and Pea Tip Dumplings – Great combination
– Sauteed Gai-Lan with Garlic – You must, must order this with your meals!
– Five Flavour Rainbow Pudding
– Chilled Mango Pudding – Aside from being a tasty dessert, the presentation of this dish its lovely.
On and end note, the restaurant is busy all the time, so if you’re looking for a nice quite place to catch up with a friend, this isn’t it. It gets pretty loud. Also the service is quick and impersonal. BUT it’s fast.