Leek and Potato Soup made with fresh ingredients from the Yaletown Farmers Market
Recently I had the opportunity to shop the Yaletown Farmers Market with @gastrofork. We were both full from our Taste of Yaletown preview, but couldn’t resist buying some fresh items from the local stores and farmers.
My favourite stall? @pieholevan of course! Their pies are so delicious.
Dee and I loved trying out their hand pies and their pie holes. Dee had the pumpkin pie and I had the apple pear caramel praline, made with local apples and pears and topped with an oat and pecan crumble sauce.
Aside from the pie, we were given fresh ingredients to make a leek and potato soup with a recipe from Chef Neil Wyles of The Hamilton Street Grill. You can purchase all these ingredients at the Yaletown Farmers Market .
2 TBSP of butter
2 leeks, sliced
2 cups of leftover mashed potatoes
4 cups diced potato
2 cups whipping cream
4 cups milk
1 TBSP Worcestershire
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Slice leeks, including half of the dark green portion. Rinse and sauté until soft and slightly caramelized in butter in pot. Do not burn butter.
2. Dice potatoes, boil until slightly soft, drain and set aside.
3. Once leeks are cooked, add milk and leftover mashed potato (note: if you don’t have any leftover mashed potato, increase potato by 2 cups)
4. Add diced potato, Worcestershire, whipping cream and season to taste. Gently stir, do not crush diced potato.
5. Garnis with fresh chopped chive and splash of truffle oil
The Yaletown Farmers Market runs every Thursday until December 19th, and it’s open from noon until 4pm.