2018 Big Little Lies Road Trip
Golden Globe & Critics Choice winning HBO series, Big Little Lies, takes viewers on a trip to the gorgeous scenery of Monterey County on coastline of California. Looking to escape winter, what better escape than to follow in the footsteps of Reese Witherspoon and Nicole Kidman in Monterey, Pacific Grove, and Big Sur. This is the perfect time to plan a Big Little Lies road trip and see where this show was filmed.
“Monterey County is truly a star in the show,” says Rob O’Keefe, Chief Marketing Officer of the Monterey County Convention and Visitors Bureau. “From cruising over the iconic Bixby Bridge to admiring the idyllic coast, the show captures the awe-inspiring beauty of our region. And we invite visitors to become the stars of their own stories featuring Monterey County in 2018.”
Here’s a list of 5 must visit locations where the show was filmed:
- Old Fisherman’s Wharf – Located on the wharf in downtown Monterey, Paluca Trattoria is a family-owned and operated Italian restaurant and was the inspiration for the set design of Blue Blues, the fictional café where the show’s moms gathered for coffee and gossip. Take a stroll on the wharf, shop the stores, and settle in for lunch or dinner here just like the cast of Big Little Lies.
- Monterey Bay Aquarium – This top California attraction is the backdrop of one of the trips that Jane and her son, Ziggy, went for a getaway. Discover over 35,000 creatures representing 550 species just like they did in the show.
- Del Monte Beach – This Monterey beach was the backdrop of several of the beach running scenes filmed in the show. Take your family for an afternoon of fun in the sun, go on a kayak excursion, or take a jog along the beach.
- Bixby Bridge & Highway 1 – Located in Big Sur, the Bixby Bridge is an iconic spot to drive along the Monterey coastline on the scenic Highway 1. Big Little Lies’ opening credits feature Bixby Bridge and the drive along Highway 1. This breathtaking landscape is worth the stop for some photos and to enjoy the Pacific Ocean breeze.
- Garrapata State Park and Beach – Big Little Lies’ scenes of the steep cliffs, crashing waves and misty shores were filmed at Garrapata State Park in Big Sur. Make sure to explore the beach and its western coastal trail beginning at gate 19 off Highway 1 for some Instagram-worthy photos.
Get planning on your Big Little Lies road trip, and also make sure to check out more sights in Monterey County including Pacific Grove and Carmel-by-the-Sea. For all your travel info visit SeeMonterey.com.