I’m always searching for new ways to fill my cravings for delicious meals while dieting which is hard for me because I’m not a big fan of vegetables. However, I found this amazing “20-Minute Healthy Tomato Bisque Soup” recipe by Fit Foodie Finds (link: https://fitfoodiefinds.com/20-minute-healthy-tomato-bisque-soup/). The best part is that I could eat so much of it without feeling guilty and I could add parmesan cheese and bread too! I modified the recipe to my likings (see below).
LOW CALORIE TOMATO BISQUE
Yield: 7 servings | Prep Time: 15 minutes | Cook Time: 20 minutes
Delicious, savoury, nutritious, and yet low calorie.
30 grams flour
118 grams greek yogurt
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
33 grams garlic
322 grams yellow onion
2 tsp olive oil
2.8 cups (150 ml) beef broth with 30% less salt
1 container (3 cups) all purpose crushed tomatoes*
1 container (796 ml) diced tomatoes*
1 container (30 ml) tomato paste herb and spices
Optional: Parmesan cheese
*Note: You can just use either two cans of all purpose crushed tomatoes or two cans of diced tomatoes. The diced tomatoes are lower in calories. I used both types because I didn’t realize that I needed two cans of diced tomatoes so I had to use whatever I had at home.
- Pour olive oil into a large pan.
- Dice onion and add to pan. Sauté until translucent which will take approximately 5 minutes.
- Dice garlic and add to the pan. Sauté for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Puree onion and garlic in a blender.
- Add all ingredients into the blender except flour and greek yogurt. Process until desired consistency.
- Once done, transfer content back into the large pan. Bring up to boil then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add greek yogurt and flour, and stir. The flour is to thicken the bisque.
Calories per serving (300 grams): 155 calories
Calories per serving with 10 grams of parmesan cheese and 1 english muffin: 332 calories
When you serve it, add parmesan cheese and have it with toasted bread, english muffin, crackers, or croutons. You can add some bacon too to add flavour, but remember bacon is very high in calories, so its best to weigh it and or/use a small amount. You can add sautéed mushrooms too!
Hope you like the tomato bisque!